Sunday 3 February 2013

100, 2 Years, Bunny Egg Cosies and Dyed Curly Locks!

Lulus and I had to miss our spinning group last Saturday :( and so we did some felting together instead. I decided to think ahead and make something with Easter in mind and so some themed egg cosies presented themselves...


With wet felted bodies and needle felted ears and tail, these two are real cuties!


I took time, for once, to plan out the little details: ribbon, heart button, stitches, and I'm really pleased with the results.


I have a tutorial planned for these; the photos are ready so I just need to get the instructions written.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Life has been a bit hectic round here over the last two weeks. Si and Grandad were both in hospital last week; Si with flu and Grandad with a broken hip after having a fall. Then Lulu's went down with chicken pox. People keep saying 'well, these things come in threes' but this was taking the rule to the extreme!

Anyway, things are beginning to get back on an even keel, though Grandad's recovery is going to be a slow one, and so I have tried to find a little time to distract my mind and relax a little.
I bought a big bag of washed wensleydale fleece a little while ago and a super range of acid dyes, so I had a little go at dying some curly locks.


I used the microwave method as this was how I had dyed some merino tops at the spinning group last year and it was very quick and easy.
I lay out 50 grams in a dish, taking care not to fluff up the curls.
I then wet them and left to soak for 20 minutes. I've read somewhere that this helps the fibre to take up the dye. Then I added the mixed dyes; turquoise and hyacinth.

After cooking (!) for 8 minutes they were gently rinsed and laid out on a towel to dry.

The colours are so gorgeously dreamy, not as intense as in the bowl prior to rinsing, and will look beautiful felted into a bag or bowl. They would also make lovely hair for a fairy or mermaid. I feel a new project coming! This fibre is SO expensive to buy already dyed, I am so pleased I have found a way to do it. A little of this fibre might just find its way into my Folksy shop and I hope to dye some more colourways soon.

I have also been the proud recipient of a blog award recently, thank you Emma of All Stitched Up! As part of accepting this award I must answer some questions about myself, but I'm afraid I must leave this for my next post as I have a large pile of marking calling which I really should have started about 2 hours ago! If you haven't visited Emma's blog before then pop over and have a look - she has a lovely relaxed style and shares some great ideas.

I have also realised that this is my 100th post and tomorrow is my 2nd anniversary blogging! Thanks everyone for making it such a pleasurable experience - your kind comments, generous giveaways and endless tips and ideas are so gratefully received here at the fluff pot. You are all an endless source of inspiration to me. THANK YOU!!!
Becky x


5 comments:

  1. Love your bunnies, they are perfect! The dyed locks would indeed make gorge fairy or mermaid hair, can't wait to see what you create :)

    Congrats on 100th post and your 2 year bloggy birthday - I have enjoyed reading your posts!

    Hope everyone is tip-top soon,

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bunnies are so cute! Wow, those dyed curls, they're just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those egg cosies are so cute!! Congratulations on the award, and on the 2 years - how time flies!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your beautiful blue bunnies Becky - and all their details! Sorry to hear of your family upsets and hope all are well on the way to recovery.
    The wensleydale curls are amazing - hope some do find themselves in your shop! More of your wonderful talents!
    Happy Bloggy birthday and marvellous milestones! Its been a pleasure to share the last two years with you and hope there are many more to come!
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali - right back at you! Shout if you want some locks, I have dyed some more already, in spring colours this time, and I know you would make good use of them. I have plenty to spare!
      Becky x

      Delete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and leave a message.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...